I have one of those daily calendars, where each day you flip over the page to show a new bible verse or little thought for the day. (Mine is by Holley Gerth, based on her book ‘You’re Already Amazing’.)
January 1st was the verse 1 Corinthians 15:10, ‘By the grace of God, I am what I am’. Something about that really struck me, particularly when I played fill-in-the-blank with the following sentence: I am ______, by the grace of God.
- I am an introvert, by the grace of God.
- I am quiet and shy, by the grace of God.
- I am different, by the grace of God.
- I am an ‘in the background’-type person, by the grace of God.
- I am an observer rather than a doer, by the grace of God.
- I am loved, by the grace of God.
It is by God’s grace that he made me how I did, even the things that I sometimes consider weaknesses are part of who I am because of the grace of God. Everything about me he perfectly designed and made and, by his grace, he can use.
And the calendar has so far continued on this theme. January 3rd read,
You’re already amazing…
the one doing your thing,
making your difference,
being a glorious mess
that God can use.
And yes, sometimes I do feel like a glorious mess that only God could use. But therein lies the point – God can use it! Because of his love I’ve been wonderfully made, by the grace of God I am what I am.